NAMI Southwestern Illinois greatly appreciates the work of its volunteers who help make the organization such a valuable community resource.
NAMI SWI is in need of more volunteers!
We specifically need help in these areas:
- Board of Directors: NAMI SWI is happy to accept applications for our Board. To be appointed you must be a NAMI Member and be dependably capable of fulfilling the main responsibilities of a board member such as Governance, Resource Development (fundraising), Oversight of the Executive Director, and Strategic Planning. Details for applying here.
- Office Coordinator: We have grown in our clerical needs and do so much more data processing. An ideal volunteer would be someone with about 20 hours to give on average each week, possess good computer skills, and be willing to be trained on how to do the NAMI HelpLine.
- Support Group Facilitators, In Our Own Voice Presenters, Family to Family Teachers and Basics Teachers: One of the standard requirements of these tremendously important positions is that you or a family member must be living with a mental illness. NAMI pays for all the training. Time to sign up now!
- HelpLine Volunteers: Our HelpLine is the way that most people get committed to a Support Group or educational class. It is THE GATEWAY. You must be able to listen, have empathy and be capable of learning and share resources. Generally this is a job you can do from home by calling into the office to retrieve messages once or twice a month. You would take turns with other HelpLine Volunteers so it may involve taking just one week a month. This may be the most critical volunteer job at NAMI. Please note – this is NOT a crisis or suicide hotline!
- Special Events Help: It takes a lot of work to put on a Walk or another type of special event. We need hard workers for every event. You may be under 18 for this volunteer activity.
- Website Volunteer: Assist the Webmaster with updates and help monitor the NAMI SWI Website.
- Gala: We are looking to the future and would like to do a more formal event to raise funds. Typically this means a dinner with a silent and oral auction. We would like to encompass in our theme the psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, and therapists that are so important to our community. We need volunteers to chair the event and sit on the committee.
These positions all have some things in common:
- You must be a NAMI Member for most of them and be committed to the belief that treatment works and recovery is possible.
- Be willing to be trained and be able to work with minimal supervision after training.
- Be dependable and understand that confidentiality is required.
Be a NAMI volunteer! Call the NAMI office at 618-798-9788 or email us.NAMI SWI Office, email@example.com
*If you or someone you know is experiencing a crisis,
call the 24-hour hotline.
call the 24-hour hotline.