Give 3:30 Virtual Event
NAMI SWI’s first Virtual Event supporting Mental Illness Awareness Week!
By NAMI SWI Race/Walk Co-Chairperson Katie Venvertloh and the Committee
Aug 1, 2020
You might be aware, we had hopes of rescheduling our in-person 5K event Mental Health Race for Recovery and Walk for Awareness. Due to the continuation of concern and the goal to always maintain health and safety for our NAMI SWI family, we have decided to go virtual for 2020!
This year, we are asking our NAMI SWI family to go virtual and “Give 3:30” during Mental Illness Awareness Week October 4th thru October 11th.
Why “3:30”? Because there are 3 very important 30s this year…
- 30 Years Ago: In 1990, Congress officially established the first full week of October as Mental Illness Awareness Week (MIAW).
- $30: Participation Fee (Scholarships available for consumers)
- 30-Minutes: This year is not just for runners and walkers. We are expanding the participation to any self-care activity. Like to run, walk, jog, bike, hop, skip, jump? What about dance, garden, meditate, read, sing, paint, or bake? As mental illness can affect people differently, self-care activities can be different for people too. We only ask the activity to be at least 30-minutes in length. Whether all 30-minutes are done at once, broken up into sections during 1-day, or take the entire event week to complete… Our goal is to encourage people to allow themselves 30-minutes to focus on self-care for their mental health.
What does “go virtual” mean? This means you have the ability to participate via the internet in the comfort of a location of your choice, whether alone or with those who are within your “COVID-19 social circle”, doing an activity of your choice. All you have to do to show your support is register at www.runsignup.com/GIVE330.
If you’d like join others in showing your support, you can join our Facebook Event Page and/or follow us on Twitter for online virtual fun and activities during Mental Illness Awareness Week! Here, participants can share photos of their activity of choice, give comments and inspiring words for those doing activities, and maybe even inspire someone in finding a new self-care activity.
- Registration will open on Saturday, August 1st.
- Registration can be completed online at www.runsignup.com/GIVE330 or Download our paper registration form.
- Be sure to join on Facebook Event Page at https://www.facebook.com/events/1157967791230854/ for all updates and virtual fun activities!
During Mental Illness Awareness Week from Sunday, October 4th until Saturday, October 11th, we will be sharing information, providing entertainment, giving talks, sharing pictures and more on our social media platforms.
We are excited about this new adventure and hope you join us! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the event coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Katie Venvertloh & Chelsea Boyles,
Co-Chairpersons of the 2020 Race/Walk & Committee